Malpractice insurance, also known as medical malpractice insurance is something that is not always talked about. If you are an optometry student, take the time to know about this subject as one mistake could seriously affect your career in the future.What Does It Do?
- Malpractice insurance enables a doctor to practice in his specialized field with confidence.
- Malpractice insurance provides protection to a healthcare provider against claims filed by patients.
Why Is It Important?
Request a Quote
Start completing our short form to request a quote.
- Because you could lose your career as well as your properties with just one mistake.
- It is essential if you want peace of mind as you practice your profession.
- Because facing a lawsuit is more expensive and the entire process is long and peaceful.
- Because everyone involved faces the filed claim, no just one medical professional.
Common Claims Filed By Patients Against Optometrists
Typically, a claim against an optometrist happens when a patient complaints that the doctor fails to properly diagnose the eye disorder or other diseases. A claim is also made if a patient experiences vision problems, or loses vision temporarily or permanently after going to an optometrist.
Tips for Optometry Students
- While malpractice insurance for optometrist is a bit low, make sure you are fully protected and covered by your coverage. Do not immediately settle for the cheapest option. Find a comprehensive insurance that is able to cover your personal assets.
- Ask your insurance carrier if they include coverage specifically for an optometrist (in the future) like you in the state you want to practice.
- Ask your insurance agent if the malpractice coverage is applicable to you from an optometry student until you become a practicing optometrist.
- It is essential that the insurance agent has sufficient knowledge of malpractice insurance. His expertise will help you a lot in case of a claim.
How Much Is Malpractice Insurance for an Optometrist?
The amount usually depends on the state you are in, but the average cost is between $500 and $700. Surprising for many, this amount is not a monthly premium but for an annual payment. The optometrists’ medical malpractice insurance is much lower than other kinds of insurance in the medical field, by which the amount can reach up to thousands of dollars.
Not all insurance firms offer malpractice insurance for an optometrist. Therefore, find the right insurer who can cater to your needs. At Professional Plans we work hard to make sure that our clients are well-protected with policies that they can afford. To learn more about how we can help you, please contact our agency at (859) 543-8955